The Family Class sponsorship program includes a stream for parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Successful parents and grandparents under this program will receive Canadian permanent residence and may be able to apply for Canadian Citizenship four years thereafter.
To be eligible for Family Class sponsorship, the sponsor in Canada must meet the following requirements:
- Be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident;
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program. If married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both persons can be included;
- The sponsor and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits the sponsor to provide financial support for the sponsored relative, if necessary. This agreement also states that the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support himself or herself. Dependent children under age 22 do not have to sign this agreement. Quebec residents must sign an “undertaking” with the province of Quebec —a contract binding the sponsorship; and
- The sponsor must promise to provide financial support for the sponsored relative for a period of 20 years. This time period begins on the date the sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.
Sponsors will have to prove that they meet the minimum income requirements by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) in support of their sponsorship and they must also demonstrate they have met the minimum necessary income level for 3 consecutive years.
If you meet above requirement or have questions, please contact us for more detail information.